Sunday, October 25, 2015

Kindle Spotlight -- Born of Treasure

Recently, I reviewed Jordan Elizabeth's novel Escape from Witchwood Hollow. Well, she then sent me her most recent work, the steampunk story Born of Treasure. Without further ado, here we go.

OK, this is the second book in the series, so I don't have 100% of the plot, but I did get the gist of it. The story centers around a young man named Clark Grisham who lives in a 19th-century fictional world. He was a miner and the son of a brilliant inventor. However, his father was murdered by the vile Senator Horan, and Clark was adopted by the Treasure family, becoming Clark Treasure. He became quite close to his new sister Amethyst; in fact, what the rest of the family doesn't know is that he secretly married her.

Unfortunately for Clark, he drank what he thought was absinthe, but it turned out to be a potion for interacting with the dead! Now he sees ghosts and can even bring them back to life. This has ended up being quite the curse for him, because now the army is after him and wants to use his powers to command an army of the dead. Leading the hunt is Captain Greenwood (who's a huge a-hole, as you can probably imagine) who will stop at nothing to see Clark enslaved. But our hero won't go quietly, and he's prepared to kill anyone who threatens him or his family. Who will come out on top in this otherworldly conflict?

Born of Treasure is a good story. It has an engaging narrative, a likable protagonist, and appropriately unlikable villains. I found myself thinking about it when I wasn't reading it, which is always a good sign. I especially like the fact Clark isn't a goodie-two-shoes; he can get violent at the drop of a hat, dispatching anyone who poses a threat.

However, the writing isn't perfect. Elizabeth sometimes confuses her characters, specifically referring to one when she really means another. I personally didn't find this to be a big deal, but this may turn some readers off.

In the end, I think this is a solid effort, and I'm interested to see what Jordan Elizabeth comes up with next.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors